Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Modern Times Forever: Ten Long Days at the Movie Theater!

     I love movies. I'm doing a blog about them so I guess I should love movies. I'll even watch long movies that no one wants to watch because they're panzies about runtime and they think that 90 minutes should be enough to tell a story (it rarely is). The Godfather, Apocallypse Now, and Once Upon A Time in America are some of favorites and are known as long movies, but my friends they have nothing on Modern Times Forever.

    Modern Times Forever, clocking in at a whopping 240 hours( that's right hours), makes any director even Andy Warhol (Empire is eight hours) seem positively concise. This movie, which is light on plot and lighter characters, was shown in March in Helsinki, Finland (because March in Finland what else are you going to do? Am I right?). Anyway, it was displayed on the side of a building because very few people would (willingly) spend ten days watching a movie about: decaying buildings.

    It's an interesting premise that is depicting the decaying of buildings and what decay will do to modern Architecture. I guess you could call it an existentialist mind-fuck in 12 days and I respect the director for doing something so monumental, but I would like to ask him (even though I don't speak finnish) why the hell couldn't he have done it in a day or two days or even just eight painfully long hours. Then again, it was his decision and I will respect it and I respect him for making such a long movie, but I will tell you one thing, there is no way I could sit through this movie. No way in hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment